Chesterton Knew The Importance of Ecumenical Dialogue

Chesterton Knew The Importance of Ecumenical Dialogue

Friday 16 July 2010

Belloc, Baring And My Introduction


In my Introductory blog post, my 7th post chronologically speaking, it may seem to some that Belloc was a bit harsh to Maurice Baring at their first meeting in what he said. Belloc told Maurice Baring (a non-Catholic son of one of Europe's most celebrated banking houses) that he would certainly go to hell. What Baring wrote to Belloc many years later, in 1934 needs to be remembered if we are to engage in fruitful ecumenical dialogue.

“I realise and give thanks for the privilege of having known you; and be sure of this, but for you I should never have come into the Church: you were the lighthouse that showed me the way, the beacon; and once I was there you remained a tower of strength in times or moments of difficulty, and we both agree that that is the only thing that matters.”

1 comment:

Teresa said...

Conversion of spirit, heart, and faith is a wonderful thing.