Chesterton Knew The Importance of Ecumenical Dialogue

Chesterton Knew The Importance of Ecumenical Dialogue

Saturday 3 March 2012

GK's Weekly, The Thing, Contents



Just when you thought it was safe to look at my blog again on Saturdays, you were wrong! Last year I read The Thing by GK Chesterton (Saint? Pilgrimage?). I quoted from it and said,

"The hard thing about quoting Chesterton for me is that I want to quote the whole book! This quote is great, I have used it to defend many many things, be it Altar Rails, Communion on the tongue, Adoration, The Old Rite Mass or the Old Rite Mass!"

So then I did print the whole book here on my blog each Saturday, one chapter a week. I called it GK's Weekly in honor of Chesterton's weekly paper. I was happy to find this quote in GKC's Autobiography, as I had already started printing them on Saturdays;

The next turning-point of my journalistic fate was the purchase of the Daily News by the Pro-Boer Liberals; for it had belonged up to this moment, like practically every Liberal daily paper, to the Liberal Imperialists. A group of Liberals, of whom Mr. George Cadbury was the principal capitalist and the late Mr. R. C. Lehmann the principal practical journalist, appointed as literary editor my friend Mr. Archibald Marshall, who in his turn had the rashness to appoint me as a regular weekly contributor. Here I wrote an article every Saturday for many years; I was described, in the phrase of the time, as having a Saturday pulpit, rather like a Sunday pulpit. Whatever were the merits of the sermon, it is probable that I had a larger congregation than I have ever had before or since. And I occupied it until I gave it up long afterwards, at another political crisis, the story of which I shall have to tell on a later page.

And now to end the book, here is the contents page with links to each chapter;


The Thing, by G.K. Chesterton

CONTENTS

1. INTRODUCTION

2. THE SCEPTIC AS CRITIC

3. Is HUMANISM A RELIGION?

4. THE DRIFT FROM DOMESTICITY

5. LOGIC AND LAWN TENNIS

6. OBSTINATE ORTHODOXY

7. THE USUAL ARTICLE

8. WHY I AM A CATHOLIC

9. WHAT DO THEY THINK?

10. THE MASK OF THE AGNOSTIC

11. THE EARLY BIRD IN HISTORY

12. PROTESTANTISM: A PROBLEM NOVEL

13. A SIMPLE THOUGHT

14. THE CALL TO THE BARBARIANS

15. ON THE NOVEL WITH A PURPOSE

16. THE REVOLT AGAINST IDEAS

17. THE FEASTS AND THE ASCETIC

18. WHO ARE THE CONSPIRATORS?

19. THE HAT AND THE HALO

20. ON TWO ALLEGORIES

21. THE PROTESTANT SUPERSTITIONS

22. ON COURAGE AND INDEPENDENCE

23. THE NORDIC HINDOO

24. SPIRITUALIST LOOKS BACK

25. THE ROOTS OF SANITY

26. SOME OF OUR ERRORS

27. THE SLAVERY OF THE MIND

28. INGE VERSUS BARNES

29. WHAT WE THINK ABOUT

30.
THE OPTIMIST AS A SUICIDE

31.
THE OUTLINE OF THE FALL

32.
THE IDOLS OF SCOTLAND

33.
IF THEY HAD BELIEVED

34. PEACE AND THE PAPACY

35.
THE SPIRIT OF CHRISTMAS

No comments: